What is health? It can be defined as the condition of being sound in body, mind, and spirit; especially having freedom from physical disease or pain. Overall, this occurs when the immune system is strong and all of the organs and cells in the body are functioning correctly. However, there is also an underlying level of health that in general is overlooked and, when out of balance, has a direct effect on your horse's health. This is the core energy that supplies all of the horse's body systems with nourishment at the cellular level.
This energy can be affected by stressful situations or circumstances your horse experiences daily or have experienced in the past, such as:
- The environment they live or work in
- Getting fed unnatural substances
- Having a poor diet (including lack of certain minerals, supplements or forage and too much processed feed)
- Lack of adequate exercise
- Bullying by other horses
- Being stabled inside
- Misunderstandings during training
- Dealing with any form of shock
How can we help our horses stay healthy in all aspects of their being?
Energy healing is a great solution! Reiki is a common medium for providing energy healing to horses and humans. Along with providing Reiki, practitioners at Whispering Equine also incorporate various aspects of vibrational remedies to aid in the overall healing experience for the horse and it’s owner if possible. These remedies could include acupressure, aromatherapy, crystal healing, sound therapy, and essences of flowers and gems.
How can my horse benefit from Reiki?
Reiki can help maintain your horse’s health, increase the rate of healing for illness and injuries, and even ease the transition between life and death. If a horse's energy is blocked or out of balance in anyway, signs of stress may appear. Some of the more common signs that may show up are anxiety, lack of or too much energy, pain, injury and behavioral problems. If your horse is displaying these or other negative symptoms, then Reiki would be a good option to help them out.
Below are a few ways that Reiki can benefit your horse:
- Emotional problems: Reiki can help release and heal those emotions that are a result of a traumatic situation such as abuse, neglect, or a riding accident etc.
- Behavioral issues: Reiki can help your horse relax and reduce their stress and anxiety.
- Illness or injury: Reiki can help accelerate healing and assist the horse’s body in cleansing toxins. Also, if your horse is facing a serious illness, Reiki can help bring comfort and be a great complement to conventional treatment.
- Reiki can encourage increased suppleness, flexibility and can improve flow in all gaits.
- Reiki can help your horse focus before an event and assist in reaching their peak performance.
- Reiki can help relax your horse prior to experiencing unfamiliar situations such as travel to a different location, being sold to a new owner or being moved to a new type of environment.
- Transition between life and death: Reiki can help bring peace and comfort to you and your horse during this difficult time. It can help them relax so they are not afraid and struggling to stay a part of our lives.
Horses love Reiki because they are naturally sensitive and energetic beings who understand the nature of it. As horses enjoy the energetic connection with humans, Reiki is a wonderful way to deepen the connection and bond between the horse and their owner. Plus, reiki also has an irresistibly relaxing nature that just feels good to them!
Note: While Reiki is a powerful and effective healing system on its own, it is also a wonderful complement to other therapies that may be helping the animal recover. It is not meant as a substitute for veterinary care. Always consult your veterinarian about the best course of medical treatment for your animal.
What does a Reiki session for a horse look like?
Reiki varies from other holistic therapies in that it relies on the willing participation of the horse for success. The practitioner “offers” Reiki to the horse in an open way, without forcing the treatment and without expectations of the way the session should go. Horses are very sensitive and aware of energetic frequencies and will immediately understand the nature of the healing they are being offered.
An equine Reiki session can be done with the practitioner's hands directly on the horse or hovering just above the area, or even from a distance. This will be determined by whatever the horse prefers. You will know what your horse is open to and comfortable with by the way they respond to the healing energy. Signs of rest and relaxation would be what you will see. These can include a lowering of the head and a softening of the eyes, chewing and licking, yawning, sighing and sometimes they are so relaxed their eyes close completely.
The average Reiki treatment lasts from 30 to 60 minutes, and generally ends when the horse moves away. Like a person recovering from illness or responding to a treatment, your horse will need quiet and rest and may need to drink extra water to help flush out toxins from the body.
***Horses can often reflect or take on the symptoms of stress seen in their owner. Reiki will help those animals, but to fully clear those issues, it would be beneficial to have the owner treated with a session of Reiki as well. We offer special sessions of Reiki that include time for both the horse and the owner/rider.
Would you like to be able to help your horse yourself?
Carrie is a certified Usui Reiki Master and offers a unique certification program to allow individuals to learn the sacred concepts and practices of Usui Reiki for both humans and equine. Please refer to the Workshop link here or above to find the next Level 1 and Level 2 Reiki trainings, as well as some other helpful workshop topics to improve the connection, understanding and support the needs of your horse or animal companion.